The Idea Guy

SkywardRiver

Staff member
Community Administrator
So I see alot of folks pop up around game development websites and forums super excited to be working on a game. They bring a bunch of neat concepts and design ideas.... and no skills to enable them. Now there's no shame in this. I myself used to be an "Idea Guy". I just started out in Eclipse when I was 13 (14? It's pretty hazy) and I had yet to even make a map. I was an Idea guy. I had all these massive and "unique" plans to turn my game into something revolutionary. The problem, however, was I wasn't experienced with anything yet. I hadn't mapped yet (and my first attempts were god awful, I'm a lot better now but that's beside the point), I hadn't developed a single entity or item, I hadn't programmed a thing yet, I had no software to develop music in, and I was never an artist by any means. All I had were Ideas.

A few projects later and we come to a game called Skywardens. This game was filled with my afore mentioned "ideas". I had mapped and developed a bit, but I was still nowhere near ready for this undertaking. Regardless, work started, and we even got a release out, which was well received from what I can remember. There were, however, some glaring issues. Bugs ruled the game and it carried with it stock features, no original art or music, and it played like every other game ever made on with Eclipse. Not exactly a revolutionary game. Except.... it was. This game made me think of what I should be doing to make my projects stand out and, in the end, profitable.

After Skywardens I started my journey into Programming. Before this I had some minor experience in following some source code tutorials on Eclipse in making a hodgepodge engine called Eclipse Chronicles. So, a few years of toil later, teaching myself how to program, I released the SEB Engine and the Skywyre Engine. With the Skywyre engine (along with super important custom art from Zetasis) we created our first highly profitable game. None of this would have ever happened if I had remained the "Idea Guy".

The takeaway from this thread should be this: If you're just an "idea guy" or "idea gal", maybe take a look at something else you could be investing time and effort into learning. This not only makes YOUR games turn out better, but also makes you valuable to a team setting.

Little Sue Sally down the street has ideas. She's also not a game developer.

Now I'm not saying this to scare away any hobbyists that just want to have fun developing a game. If that's you, by all means quit reading and go do it. You have my full support. This is more aimed to the individuals looking to make it big in the Indie Game Dev scene. It takes alot of actual work to make a game that makes a customer want to either support it or buy it.

I wasn't just going to leave you with a "LEARN THIS" and give you no leads.

For our future programmers:

C# is the language Intersect is developed in. It's also most likely the best language to learn for Game Development in general. C and it's variants were practically made for Game Development, and C# is a fantastic language to use in most settings.

For our future artists:
Pixel art for Video games | Udemy

This is a paid course. I've personally looked at it and found it pretty easy to follow along. I even did some pixel art! Now, there are some free alternatives, that can be found with a simple google search online.

For our future musicians:

And this is where I'll leave you. I'll of course be answering any questions and whatnot. Have a good day guys, and keep making great games.

John

Lead Administrator
Staff member
Lead Administrator
I really need to just sticky this post somewhere on the website, because it’s so important.

Honestly investing in a particular skill is ultimately something everyone who sticks around the game dev & hobbyist scene has to eventually do. I remember I toyed around with mapping and world building a little bit until I eventually settled into programming. It was an amazing process of learning because I think I had far more fun programming than I had when I was just in the idea stage.

100% go out there and learn a skill. Experiment. Make something, tear it down, and start again. A lot of people want to make it big with the next viral indie title, but that never happens without a ton of work and time spent experimenting, failing, and ultimately learning. And you will have a lot more fun if you accept this. Remember, the fun is to be had in making the game. If you remember this and focus on the present, you might just enjoy yourself and eventually come out with something great.